Friday, March 8, 2013

Yeah Women!

Happy 8th of March--Urime tete Mars--Srecen osmi Marta!


Yes. Of course I'm pro-mother/women's day (I'm also pro-roses that the student parliament was handing out). But I can't help but wonder--what about the other 364 (and a quarter!) days? Are those, by default, "let's celebrate men days?"(please don't answer that question--although I guess it begs the question "what does 'celebrate' mean in this context?").

I know that the point is not 'let's not acknowledge all the wonderful things Women do other days of the year and save it for the 8th', but the 8th makes a little space for things to be said.

But why should they go unsaid the rest of the year?

So beloved women: mom, grandma, Patti, Kathy, Jill, Nancy, Dotty,  Suzana, Marica, Timka (and many more than I can name right now), I celebrate you today, on this 8th of March--just as I celebrate you, and find inspiration in your strength, courage, love and affection every other day of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment